Monday, June 1, 2009

Mindful Monday

In the last 36 or so hours, I have become very aware of how much a person uses their hands.  Of course we use our hands, that's common sense, but just how much we use them and the things we use them for is amazing.  My left hand is the one that has been affected and  I am right-handed, so I'm actually not getting the full brunt of what it would be like to have to use a non-dominant hand (thank goodness).  Since I stabbed the knife directly into my hand, I did some temporary, but painful damage inside.  My palm is super sore and swollen and that is the main reason I'm having trouble holding things.  I can use my fingers for things like typing (yay!) but when it comes to holding things in a grip...that's another story. Things that I have struggled with that I had not realized how much I did on a day-to-day basis: 

  • Closing and opening things (just for a small example - a ziploc bag with a zipper, sippy cups, medicine tubes and bottles, milk jugs, etc.)
  • taking showers/bathing and washing my hair
  • Fixing a hairstyle that looks awful if you let it air dry
  • getting dressed - especially putting on a bra that closes in back!  :)
  • holding my boys
  • changing diapers & dressing Hudson
  • making lunch and cooking dinner
  • fastening Hudson in his carseat - I still have yet to accomplish this one by myself
I think this will be my "Mindful Monday" - for me to be mindful of the many blessings I take for granted everyday!

1 comment:

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Hope your hand is doing better since it appears that life would be quite hard (especially when looking at your list in this post) with a hurt hand and TWO small kiddos in the house. Bless your heart!